Developing a Management Plan
Questions for Adult Patients With ADHD
When meeting with an adult patient after a diagnosis of ADHD has been established, it is important to understand where the patient and his or her family are within the symptom management process.
Consider the following:
- Has the patient accepted the diagnosis?
- Have other family members accepted the diagnosis?
- What education about ADHD and its management have the patient and the family received?
- Is the patient currently taking any medication for ADHD?
- Is the medication effective at controlling the patient's ADHD symptoms? Are there any side effects?
- Does the patient have any concerns/questions about medication, side effects, or dosage? If so, has he or she discussed these concerns or questions with the prescribing physician?
- What psychosocial therapy for ADHD has the patient received?
- What steps has the patient taken at home to help manage ADHD symptoms?
- Is the patient aware of college or workplace accommodations for which he or she may qualify?
- Have any other family members been diagnosed with ADHD?