ADHD and Higher Education

Share, Send, or Save

What resources do colleges have to help people with ADHD?

Many schools offer resources to help students with disabilities. Before entering college, find out what support programs your school offers. Check out your school's disability support program to see what is available. Accommodations can vary and so can the names of the programs. The office may be called RDS—Resources for Disabled Students. It may also be referred to as Office of Student Disability Services, Student Support Services, Services to Students with Disabilities, or Disability Services Office.

Before entering college you will need to apply for these programs. By law, all colleges and universities receiving federal funding must provide "reasonable accommodations" for students with disabilities, which may include ADHD. Colleges generally require a recent assessment, copies of your Section 504 or individualized education plan (IEP), and accommodations requested. Look on your college's website to find the application and instructions on how to apply. Visit the office and speak with the staff about your situation to understand what services are offered by your college.

Accommodations for college students with ADHD may include:

  • Early registration
  • Extended time for tests
  • Test-taking in your chosen environment
  • Extended time to complete assignments
  • Extra time to meet with the professor
  • Free tutoring
  • Free notetaker in class

Michael Yasick ADHD Scholarship by Shire

The Michael Yasick ADHD Scholarship by Shire is intended for US citizens accepted to or attending an accredited college, university, vocational school, or technical school as an undergraduate student. You must be diagnosed with ADHD and under the care of a licensed health care professional for ADHD. Each recipient is awarded $2,000 and 1 year of prepaid ADHD coaching services. For information on how to apply, visit