Staying on Track
The following are some strategies that can help your loved one stay on track with his or her ADHD management plan:
a. Schedule appointments with health care professionals
Schedule regular follow-up appointments with the health care team, so that they can:
- Track your loved one's progress
- Update your loved one's ADHD management plan, if necessary
- Answer questions
- Provide information on additional ADHD resources and support organizations
Three helpful steps to prepare for your loved one's appointment:
- Print and complete Questions to Ask Your Loved One's Health Care Professional. This will help the health care professional evaluate your loved one's symptoms, perform an assessment, and determine a management plan if necessary. Be prepared to discuss any health conditions your loved one has or medications your loved one is currently taking.
- Involve your loved one. Children, and especially teenagers, may not always be completely honest about how they're feeling. Be sure to acknowledge that ADHD may impact your loved one at school, at home, and in social settings. Emphasize the importance of working with the doctor to manage ADHD.
- Collect feedback to share with your loved one's health care professional. Encourage your loved one to write down examples of how ADHD symptoms affect him or her at school, at home, or in social settings. Request feedback from people closest to your loved one—family, teachers, and coaches. You may also want to gather report cards and reviews from your loved one's school.
b. Organize your loved one's schedule
Make regular use of planners and logs to help organize your loved one's schedule.
c. Establish a routine
Establish and maintain a routine for helping your loved one complete homework and other tasks.
d. Set realistic goals
Help your loved one to set goals that are specific, realistic, and measurable.
e. Join a support group
There are many ADHD support and advocacy groups. Get involved with these groups for additional support for you and your loved one with ADHD.