STEP 4 If Your Child Needs More Help, Speak to a Health Care Professional

Share, Send, or Save
STEP 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Have an open and honest dialogue with the health care professional about any symptoms your child may be experiencing, like inattention, impulsivity, and hyperactivity. Discuss how those symptoms may be affecting your child at home, at school, and/or in social situations. Your child will need formal documentation of an ADHD diagnosis to obtain learning accommodations.

Information Your Child's Health Care Professional May Request

When evaluating your child, health care professionals may ask to see the following school records:

  • School report cards that include grades and teachers' comments
  • Other official school records (eg, achievement tests or discipline reports)
  • A description of how your child has performed in school
  • Notes on your child's behavior in the classroom

Alternatively, you may prefer to start the process by speaking with your child's school.

As a reminder, only a qualified health care professional can accurately diagnose ADHD.